Frequently asked questions
Our tutoring approach
We are specialised in providing highly successful small group tuition uniquely and have developed a reputation for improving the core skills of our students with their long-term goals in mind for sustainable development. We also provide individual tutor support when required.
Our panel of tutors uses well-established teaching methodologies and follows set lessons, examples and practice to teach concepts in-depth.
Our students get weekly homework, which reinforces the learning process and promotes improvement in their grades. In addition, our regular mini-class tests and frequent feedback to parents are designed in a way that enables us to evaluate the progress of students and mentor them to become better learners and achievers.
We offer Small group and one-on-one tuition mapped to the Australian school syllabus
- Our Adelaide tutors are highly experienced and qualified in tutoring all school levels.
- Our highly successful and most sought-after scholarship preparation courses in Adelaide, (ACER® Scholarship Test and Ignite Entry Exam); as well as our extension classes for Year 7 to Year 9, and SACE program aim to provide students with the mentorship and guidance to truly excel.
Small group tutoring has many advantages, as it offers an individualised and structured learning experience. Students who receive tutoring are:
- More prepared to set individual academic goals and implement strategies to reach them
- Perform above average on standardised tests
- Show higher levels of self-esteem and a more positive attitude towards academic performance as well as personal growth
- Achieve better grades and have a better understanding of the subject they are working on with a tutor
- Experience less stress, anxiety and frustration with school matters
- Understand better their individual learning style and manage better their learning pace
- Have healthier study habits and tools to avoid distractions, disruptions and procrastination
- Are more responsible for their individual progress and for managing his or their school work
- Are more independent and self-aware of their strengths and weaknesses
- Feel more comfortable asking questions, participating in class and show more positive and collaborative behaviour
- Students who are looking to improve subject comprehension, or need individualised help with a certain topic or assessment
- Students who are already advanced, and seeking to further challenge themselves by achieving higher test scores, secure a scholarship or dive into specific subjects of individual interest
- Students who are searching for niche help (eg. NAPLAN, ACER® scholarships and Ignite entry exams, SACE projects etc.)
- Students looking to build important learning skills, need to overcome specific learning obstacles or would like to access the best material to help them excel
- Students who are easily distracted, lack motivation or have poor study habits that may be affecting their performance in a classroom setting
Every child and parent is different, that’s why it’s important to remember that different teaching styles and situations become key to determining successful learning.
Some parents feel unable to help their children with schoolwork, others may be looking to support a high achiever learner. Regardless of your individual goal, tutoring can help strengthen subject comprehension, boost confidence, and build important learning skills to support all levels and skills.
Our students come to us for many reasons, and we love catering for their individual needs:
- Develop a growth mindset to achieve specific milestones for a brighter future.
- Accelerate learning and cultivate special talents.
- Prepare for senior years.
- Prepare for a Standardized Test (ACER/Ignite, IB)
- Receive support while transitioning to a new school
- Improve social and communications skills and overcome shyness to ask questions in class
- Reinforce recent knowledge or learn about a particular subject that isn’t covered at school
- Improve performance in a specific subject
- Learn skills for better time management and keep up with grade-level expectations
- Develop an interest in learning and receive an expert opinion on assignments to avoid slipping grades and scores
For Maths and English regular classes, tutors spend the first section of any lesson checking that students have completed their homework and going through selected questions in class.
This then progresses to going through the week’s content using an explicit teaching model to provide detailed explanations and mentorship to excel in their studies.
Students are encouraged to ask tutors as many questions as they need and work collaboratively with their peers. At the end of the lesson, tutors then specify what is required of the weekly homework.
At Tutors SA, we require an initial assessment in order to determine the best-suited group allocation for the student. Allocated groups are dependent on availability and test results. This is only required for R-10 Maths and English.
All new students are requested to take an initial assessment in order to identify their academic level and learning skills. This allows us to pair them up with the right Tutor suited to their individual needs.
Before students can enrol into our group lessons, students from Reception – Year 10 are required to sit for an obligation FREE initial assessment for Maths and/or English at the Campbelltown Centre provided by Tutors SA.
Initial Assessment times based on the year levels and the subjects:
- Reception – Maths and English – 1 hour
- Year 1 to Year 8 – Maths 1 hour
- Year 1 to Year 8 – English 1 hour
- Year 1 to Year 8 – Maths and English 2 hours
- Year 9 and 10 – Maths 1.5 hours
- Year 9 and 10 – English 1 hour
- Year 9 and 10 – Maths and English 2.5 hours
Notes on assessment preparation and process:
- Students must arrive at the centre 10 minutes before the start time to prepare for the assessment.
- Please bring standard stationery and a water bottle. Calculators are only allowed for students in Year 9 and Year 10.
- When you arrive at the centre, please look for our Administration staff at reception, who will be there to assist you.
- We aim to release results within 3-5 business days from the date of assessment.
$35.00 (once off, non-refundable)
Enrolment fees are applicable to NEW students only. Enrolment fees are payable once the enrolment form is submitted to Tutors SA.
Invoices & Payments
There are NO additional fees or charges for online payments!
All new and existing students should have received an email from Spark* to create or activate an account.
In case you have not received an email from Spark* to activate an account or you are having issues accessing your profile, please email us at [email protected]
Once you log in, it is important you check and update your personal details by clicking the yellow ‘edit’ button under your profile picture.
NOTE: When you log into your Spark* account, you will first have an overview of your Dashboard (As per the image below). This will show all the information you have provided, as well as any classes and upcoming lessons you are currently on.
Or simply log into Spark*, and follow the prompts to pay the invoice, this is our safe and secure portal that does not have a surcharge or any additional fees.
Unfortunately, we do not accept cash or bank transfers.
Yes! There is a 7.5% and a 5% discount as part of our early bird offers.
These offers only apply to full-term payments of regular tuition made by the due date specified by Tutors SA as per our Schedule of Fees & Charges
On site Tutoring
Simply head to our website, and go the ‘Enquire Now’ page to express your interest with us and receive a 15 minute phone call with our Enrolment Officer on which path is right for you!
We offer two replacement classes per term where the student can attend an alternative class for that week. All year levels explore the same material each week, so this won’t compromise their learning.
Students are encouraged to download and complete the materials via our SPARK resources, ready for the following week. Additional questions can be asked by attending our free Homework Help lesson.
All of our lessons offer a hybrid matrix, meaning our students in Tutors SA R-12 can join their scheduled class remotely using our SPARK portal.
When and what is Homework Help?
Homework Help is our free service that operates on Thursdays 6:00pm-8:00pm at our campbelltown centre and Mondays 6:00pm-8:00pm at our Mitcham Centre during July-Feb. This is run by two of our highly experienced Maths and Science Tutors.
- Our experienced English tutors offer marked homework on a weekly basis with comments and feedback.
- Our Maths Tutors provide extensive opportunities in class to go through the homework and offer feedback on their student’s progression. Maths tutors do not physically mark the homework worksheets, as they allow time in the lessons as they provide the opportunity in lessons to go through the questions, however, we do release detailed solutions each week.
- We also have a compulsory end-of-term test that commences in the final weeks of each term, with a detailed feedback form of their results.
Subjects & Courses
We offer General Science from Year 7-10 and specialised topics for our 11 and 12 Students.
By releasing solutions on a two-week delay (I.e week 3 solutions are released in week 5) We allow all students to complete their homework and get it checked by their tutors before giving them access to the full solutions set. In preparation for the end-of-term test, all solutions will have been uploaded.
We offer FREE Math and Physics Homework Help Sessions to all enrolled students as a value-added service.
These sessions are held on:
- Thursdays 6.00 pm – 8.00 pm weekly at the Campbelltown Centre during the term
- Mondays 6.00 pm – 8.00 pm weekly at the Mitcham Centre.
- Ongoing weekly during Tutors SA’s term dates only
This is run by two of our highly experienced Maths and Science Tutors.
Online Spark* Portal
- View your child (or children) timetable/s and scheduled lessons from your Spark* account on your computer or mobile
- View future and past lessons and all their details (location, etc).
- Access assessment results
- Access and download lesson resources
- Pay invoices and view your payment history online
- Join online lessons with a single click & much more
Classes are being delivered in a Hybrid format Zoom + Face-to-Face Check our guide and learn how to join our virtual classes on Spark*
- We will be delivering these lessons face-to-face for those students attending the Centre.
- Students can opt to attend the Zoom live sessions via Spark* Portal following the guide provided in this document
- For the safety of all students and staff, we highly recommend all students wear a mask when attending the centre and during classes.
Also, please be mindful that our COVID-19 health measures are based on the rules and the guidelines set by the South Australian Government authorities. You will be notified of any changes via email and ahead of time.
To cancel your Tutors SA tutoring, please complete the requested form
Once the cancellation request has been confirmed, you will receive an email confirmation of successful cancellation to the email address we have on file.
Important: Please inform us at least 2-weeks before a new Term starts to avoid any cancellation fee being charged to your account as we reserve the space for your child in the group class.